Sunday, October 24, 2010

Movie Review: Cloverfield

I had no idea what to expect with this movie. I knew it was mostly shot with a hand-held camera, and I was kind of wary of this. However, the movie plays out so naturally that I was visibly shaking from all the action and afterward I noticed I had chewed all my fingernails. Apart from practically giving me an anxiety attack, this movie satisfied my urgent craving for a good action movie and scared the crap out of me for some reason. I still can't figure out what was so terrifying about this movie - maybe it's the utter realism, the fact that once again my hometown is destroyed, or my innate fear of giant, slobbering reptile-like space mutants.

J.J. Abrams really has a penchant for subtlety and mysterious material - this movie leaves a lot of questions for the viewer. Rather than tell the story from some vague perspective up in the sky or something, we are right there on the ground with the "common folk", piecing things together for ourselves. We don't know why things are happening, we barely even see what is causing all the mayhem until the very end of the movie.

Good movie, if you like movies where stuff blows up, people die, and lots is left for the imagination, this is for you.

Cloverfield - IMDb

No comments:

Post a Comment